Last week I went to Terrigal for three days; I ate a lot of food and mostly hung around the hotel, hardly straying from the surrounds. Not really what I expected to do, but a good time was had by all, so no regrets.
I am having trouble with my words, so here, have some photographs.
The only time we went outside was to walk along the beach. It was nice.
We stayed at Crowne Plaza, Terrigal because Kyri has a Priority Privilege card. DISCOUNTS EVERYWHERE!
I had envisioned going to the beach a lot more, and actually swimming in the sea. But that was before I got a look at the pool. And the spa. And the sauna. So you can understand why leaving the hotel was hard.
Kyri brought along his hard drive with a tonne of films and television shows on it, and I made us watch a buttload of How I Met Your Mother. I really, really like that show for some reason I can’t quite explain, laugh track and all.
We also watched The Five Year Engagement, and maybe I was just in a weird mood, but boy was a bulk of that film depressing! Tell me if I’m wrong.
We had planned on leaving the hotel to eat at least once, but that never happened. Most of our eating was done at the hotel’s restaurant, Sea Salt. On the first night, we had the degustation menu, which had a few hits and misses.
- Twice Cooked Goats Cheese Soufflé, Beetroot Relish, Walnut & Micro Herb Salad, Sherry Vinegar Dressing
- Seared Scallop, Chilled Leek & Potato Cream, Crab Remoulade, Truffle Dressing & Gaufrette Crisps
- Market Fish (swordfish), Salad of Beetroot Crisps, Fennel, Roasted Eschallots, Sour Dough, Green & Cannellini Beans, Cabernet Vinegar Dressing
- Pressed Pork Terrine, Crisp Apple, Radicchio & Crackle Salad, Prune & Fig Balsamic Dressing
- White Pyrenees Lamb Double Cutlet, Gnocchi Romaine, Black Cabbage, Caponata, Pancetta & Thyme Jus
- Handmade sweeteners that came with tea and coffee
You can view the full menu here.
ETA: A lot of the reason why I enjoyed the pork terrine and lamb less than the rest of the menu is probably because I’ve weened myself off land-meat for the most part of my diet. For instance, Kyri really enjoyed the lamb, so it can’t have been that bad. Also, I found the sweets a little too sweet. There was an oat cake which I’m 95% sure was just oats soaked in sugar and combined with more melted sugar. It was…unpleasant. But that’s just a personal preference.
Though, I still don’t understand the appeal of terrines. Pressed…meat? Please to be explaining why.
We also ate lunch and buffet breakfasts at Sea Salt, but I didn’t take any pictures of those. Overall, I really enjoyed the food and service at Sea Salt, and am interested to see how Blue Salt restaurant at my local Crowne Plaza compares.
In conclusion, Terrigal: would holiday (and eat) there again.